Tuesday 7 June 2011

Suông Noodle Soup

Most people who go to Vietnam or Vietnamese restaurants in Paris often tell me that they love to eat Pho - a special vietnamese beef noodle soup.
Although I also like to eat Pho a lot, for my first blog, I would like to introduce to you an other vietnamese noodle soup that is as much tasteful and delicious as Pho but that is unfortunately less known to people, as it is usually not offered in Vietnamese restaurants in Europe or North America.
This other Vietnamese noodle soup is called Suông - a special noodle soup cooked with a whole chicken and garnished with schrimp mixtures and Vietnamese herbs.
The original recipe is to cook with porc but I have switched it with a whole chicken which makes it taste even better.
The noodle to accompany with Suông soup is a special "Rice Vermicelli"called "Bún bò Huế". There are several brand for this type of noodle, depending on the country where you live. My favorite brand is "Vermicelle de Hue" that can be found in Brussels (Belgium) and Paris (France). I could not find them in Netherlands, New York nor Toronto.
If you cannot find this brand, you may buy another brand for this type of noodle. One of my chinese friend called this type of noodle "Lai Fan".

If you have never eaten Suông, I really advise you to give a try !

1 comment:

  1. This noodle is really good, i can affirm that for sure. Too bad that it is not widely sold in the commercial sector. The best way to consume this tasty dish, is add some slices of green lime and some fish sauce to tone the flavor of it. There is a very important note before consuming this, due to the colourly base of the soup, it is advisable to wear old sweater or an apron before davouring.

    ReplyDelete