Sunday 19 June 2011

Steamed Eel With Bean Curd



While last Sunday 12 June was father's day in Belgium (the country where I grew up - see my post of 12 June), today is father's day in most countries. Chinese restaurants are usually fully booked on this day and usually have a special father's day menu that consists of several dishes. Among these, the most common one is a steamed fish, which is healthy, light and delicious. Even me, being not a great fan of fish, I like to eat those steamed fishes. However, if I eat a steamed fish, I prefer to cook myself this dish as the restaurant usually only offers limited choices or they are not always able to "remove the stinky smell/flavor" of the fish. When I cook fish, I often use cod or swordfish as they do not taste nor smell too strongly. But, recently I have discovered a steamed fish recipe from a famous Chinese chef (Mr. Chow) using eel. Except sushi, I rarely eat eel as I usually find the taste and smell a bit too strong. To my surprise, I find this dish quite simple to cook and tasty.  Therefore, today, I would like to share with you this dish, called "Steamed Eel With Bean Curd In Black Bean Sauce".  I have adjusted the recipe of Chef Chow, in order to make the smell and flavor less "fishy" and the fish meat more tasty.
Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
- 1 Soft Bean Curd
- 1/2 Eel

Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon Water
- 2 teaspoon Black Bean sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dark Soy Sauce
- 1.5 teaspoon Chopped Ginger
- 2 teaspoon Spring Onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Shreds
- 1 teaspoon  Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Oyster Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of Chinese Cooking Wine
- a pinch of Corn Starch
- 1 teaspoon of Sesame Oil
- a pinch of Pepper

Procedure:
1) Remove the bone of the eel. Parboil the eel with water and scale the slime with a knife.

2) Cut the bean curd into slices of 0.5 inch thick. Place the bean curd slices on a plate.

3) Make some pattern on the eel meat and cut into pieces. Place on top of the bean curd.

4) Mix the sauce well and pour it on top of the eel.

5) Steam over boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes.

Enjoy it !

No comments:

Post a Comment