Monday 20 June 2011

Sea Cucumber with veggies


Today has been an extremely busy day for me, with unforecasted events and some problems to deal from long distance. With this busy schedule, I did not have a chance to cook much nor take cooking picture. So my mother told me to write about her cooking for today's blog. Since my mom knew about my blog, she has started to take picture of every of her cooking, making my brother to tease her. One of her latest dish is to stir fry "Hoi Sam" with Chinese mushroom and garden pea. If you are not Chinese or if you are not familiar to my phonetic writing style, you would wonder what is "Hoi Sam". "Hoi Sam" is the cantonese word for Sea Cucumber.
The recipe of my mother is very simple. I have not tasted this dish using her recipe but I believe it should be tasty and decent according to the list of ingredients. So here is the recipe for "Stir Fry Sea Cucumber With Veggies".

Ingredients:
300 gram Sea Cucumber
5 Chinese mushroom
10 garden peas (Some people would call it "Holland peas")
1 tablespoon of chopped ginger
a bit of oil


Seasoning:
1 red chili
1 tablespoon of chicken stock
1 teaspoon of Hoi Sin sauce
1 teaspoon of salt

Procedure:
1) Boil the Chinese mushrooms until cooked and parboil the garden pea. When it is done, take it out and set aside.

2) Heat a wok to medium high heat. When the wok is warm, add the oil and the chopped gingers. Stir few seconds then add the Hoi Sam into the wok. Stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes then add the mushrooms and garden pea into the wok. Stir fry for 2 minutes.

3) Add the seasoning into the wok and stir fry for 1 minute then switch off the heat.

As you can see, this recipe in itself quite simple. However, it takes quite some time to prepare and clean the dried Hoi Sam. That is why I usually prefer to eat Hoi Sam at Chinese restaurants. There are several steps to prepare and clean the dried Hoi Sam. An other alternative is to buy the prepared frozen Hoi Sam, however the quality of the frozen ones are usually lower. So if you have to cook Hoi Sam, I would advise you to buy the dried ones.

Enjoy it !

No comments:

Post a Comment